Denny’s is known as one of America’s Diners. Everyone goes there, and it’s a diner we all love, and not least for Denny’s imaginative naming of their food! I think that Moons Over My Hammy takes the gold, but how about The Super Bird, Lumberjack Slam, and Choconana Pancake Breakfast?
Three Things You May Not Know About Denny’s Slams
- The Grand Slam pays tribute to Hank Aaron. The combo was introduced at an Atlanta Denny’s in 1977 to celebrate the city’s hero, Hank Aaron, who had crushed Babe Ruth’s 714-hit home-run record.
- Denny’s served two million free Grand Slams in one day following Super Bowl XLIII. Denny’s aired an ad during the game, promising an irresistible free Grand Slam to absolutely every customer who came in to a Denny’s between 6 am and 2 pm.
- At the now closed Manhattan Denny’s, you could order a $300 Grand Cru Slam, a special breakfast for two that included a bottle of Dom Pérignon.
To read about some more things you may not know about Denny’s, click here.
Make This Denny’s Favorite at Home
Did you know you can make your own copykat Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy at home? It’s a great sandwich to eat for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – it doesn’t matter which meal you choose. This sandwich combines sourdough bread, ham, scrambled eggs, and American and Swiss cheese. Does it get any better than this? I don’t think so!
Ingredients in the Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy
The Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy is like an extra-fancy grilled cheese sandwich. By adding ham, scrambled eggs, and a second cheese, you end up with a sandwich full of delights. Serve this up with homemade hash browns or some country fried potatoes, and you have a hearty meal.
I like to make this sandwich with American cheese that comes from the deli. American cheese has its place, and the deli variety is much better than the cellophane-wrapped kind we often associate with this cheese. So, go to the deli and buy exactly what you need. You may want to experiment with some honey ham or some Virginia baked ham to give this classic breakfast sandwich some extra love.
Want more copykat Denny’s recipes that taste just like they do at Denny’s? Just click here and get busy.
Copykat Denny’s Moons Over My Hammy
Now there’s no need to wait in line at Denny’s on a Sunday morning. You can make this classic Denny’s recipe at home and relax with your family. This is a wonderful breakfast treat that the whole family will love.
- To make the sandwich, first scramble the eggs. In a small bowl combine the 2 eggs and the milk. Whisk them together until they are well blended. Heat a small non-stick skillet over low-medium heat. Add 2 teaspoons of butter to the skillet. Once the butter has melted, add the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Stir the eggs continually until they have become firm, then set aside. Wipe out the pan and place the ham slices in the pan. Cook the ham for 2 minutes, then flip it and cook on the other side for an additional 2 minutes. When the ham has heated through, set aside.
- Build sandwich by buttering one slice of bread and placing buttered side down in the skillet. Then add 2 slices of American cheese, then the eggs, then the ham, then Swiss cheese. Top with the remaining slice of sourdough bread and butter the top piece of bread. Cook on low to low-medium heat for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until the bread is toasted brown. Cut sandwich in half when serving.