The causes of chronic pain are numerous and can be complex. They include trauma, postural or overuse injuries, long-term illnesses, cancer, central nervous system damage, inflammatory conditions, vascular conditions that reduce blood flow, and degenerative diseases associated with aging. It’s very overwhelming to live with chronic pain but it is possible to ease constant pain with massage therapy.
What Happens When you Experience Chronic Pain?
Muscles tighten around the painful area to “protect” it, mobility is limited, and blood circulation reduced. Additionally, physical pain can cause emotional and psychological stress that ends up exacerbating the pain and can remain even if the physical condition heals.
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage is a manual therapy involving hands-on manipulation of muscles and soft tissues. For individuals looking to manage chronic pain without resorting to drugs, massage therapy can be a powerful tool for relaxing both mind and body. By interrupting the cycle of chronic pain, massage therapy can help improve the quality of life.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
- Produces a release of serotonin, which is a natural anti-pain chemical.
- Restores mobility by loosening and lengthening tight muscles and relaxing trigger points.
- Increases blood flow and circulation.
- Induces relaxation and helps relieve anxiety and stress.
- Helps to increase deep sleep. Lack of deep, restorative sleep is an aggravating factor in pain syndromes.
- Positively impacts fibromyalgia and arthritis, two chronic pain conditions.
What You Should Do
Consult an experienced certified massage therapist for treatment. The therapist will assess your condition and recommend massage techniques that are right for you. We have the expertise to help you, so don’t hesitate to contact us to arrange for a consultation.